Friday, June 22, 2012

Home Sweet Sweet Home

Just so you know the following entry I wrote the day we arrived home, I am just now getting around to editing and posting it :)

On the plane ride home


Oh my goodness, I seriously cant believe we are actually home!!!

So I guess I'm going to have to change the name of this blog ;) Originally it was meant to document our adventures in Hawaii so family and friends could follow us. Yet, now I realize how much I enjoy writing and apparently people are actually reading these things :)

I had to get on here ASAP and blog, I just couldn't resist spilling out my heart today as we set foot back in Oregon after 7 months of living in Hawaii.
It was definitely a challenge getting off that rock. (Thank you family for all the gift and care packages over the 7 months, but oh my god did we have some luggage!) 4 big plastic tubs and 3 oversized bags later, we were over the 50lb weight limit on every piece! Thank god we got a couple of awesome baggage claim guys who, after we slipped em' a $40, let all the overcharges slide. :) Very lucky/happy about that!
Than, after the grueling 7 hour overnight layover in San Jose, we were finally home! This whole adventure has been quite a whirlwind and I find my hands shaking as I type this with sheer adrenaline (oh wait, maybe Im just not used to the colder weather :) )
To both our surprise not only were our parents at the airport to greet us but 8 of our closest friends as well! With no shortage of running-and-jumping hugs, we were also greeted with VooDoo Donuts and welcome home signs. I have never felt more loved by all my friends than I did today, I am truly a lucky girl to have such close and considerate friends :) Something in this world I feel is hard to come by.


It was all such a shock (plus the lack of sleep) that i don't think I really knew what this actually meant until I was driving back to Tylers place. Yes, I have my baby (my car) back! Let me tell you, those mopeds get old! Oh man was it nice to blast the music and drive the speed limit! So, Im driving over the bridge into Vancouver and all I can think is how gorgeous it is! The Columbia river surrounded by all the lush evergreen trees, the clear blue fresh air, and the beautiful city. I was so overwhelmed with happiness I just started crying. I was crying because I knew. I knew I was home and that everything felt right again. In that one short drive over the bridge, I realized I'm back on the right path. I cant wait to throw myself back into my fast pace life full of inspiration and motivation with those who love me by my side.




Fast forward to present time, we have been back in OR now for a little over a month! I cant believe how time flies! In the last month we were able to move into a wonderful house with two awesome roommates, Ryan (Tyler's cousin) and his girlfriend Chelsey. The four of us are renting the perfect house in NE Portland. It is so nice to be out of Gresham and closer to EVERYTHING. We are only a couple blocks from the Max line and freeway and only a ten minute drive to downtown :)

Corner Lot with Double car garage
3 bedroom/ 2 bath

Its so nice to be able to do yard work and have all the extra space! This is definitely a better renting situation compared to our tiny studio in Hawaii! Now that we are back I have been getting into biking a lot. I have always loved to ride bikes for pleasure but now I am actually doing it for convenience and transportation as well. And you cant beat Portland for being biker friendly! All the neighborhoods and parks here are so beautiful. Plus you SEE so much more when you are on a bike, all the cool little shops and bars that I have never noticed before are all in our backyard!

In other news Tyler just got a job at a very nice restaurant downtown called Southpark! I am very happy for him, the job search has been rough. I on the other hand am taking it a bit slower. I decided to wait until after my best friend Ashley's wedding to get a job. I have been keeping myself busy in helping out with wedding stuff and planning the bachelorette party and bridal shower! So very excited for her! I have also been getting the house in order. It is finally all set up and visitor ready. Pictures are hung and boxes are all unpacked. Now to start on the yard work!
I have been pondering the job idea for a while now and have come to the conclusion that Im just about over working in restaurants. I need and crave experience in something new! I was considering trying to find a entry level position for an event planning company. Its something I have always loved doing. I am such a busy body and love hosting, organizing and planing parties. I realized that I really want a job where you can start a project and finish it, seeing all your progress and then the finished product. Working in restaurants is continuous and never reaches a goal. You do the same thing day after day and I never seem to get satisfaction out of that type of work. I do want to go back to school possibly in the next year, but I first really want to try out some new possibilities to see if anything strikes a chord with me.

Besides all that things are smooth sailing from here on out. Depending on Tyler and I's working potential to save up some money, I really want to take a trip to Alaska at the end of the summer! My good friend I made in Hawaii now lives and works at a camping resort and gives Kayak tours up there and it would be really neat to go visit her!   So we shall see.

good to be home,
Laur




1 comment: