Monday, November 7, 2011

Realization

Its about 10:15am on monday, and I'm just layin on the couch havin a cup of coffee. Tyler is still sleeping :) I start my first day of bartending on my own today! cant wait to start making tips again :) Its awesome, cuz at my restaurant, there is always only one bartender working, so i basically get to run the show and do what I please.  I might go out to the beach today and work on my tan a little more before work, but its going to be just a relaxing day today :)  Our little apt. is almost all decorated, thanks mom for shipping over MORE stuff, haha. But i have realized that wow, you dont need so much "stuff" in your life to be truly happy. I had this same realization when I went to Australia. I only wore a weeks worth of clothes for 6weeks, and even here, having a full closet, Im regretting bringing so many clothes. I wear shorts and a tank top everyday for gods sake, haha!
So, a few more things i have realized: I have a new found love for Sushi! There is this little hole in the wall Sushi place in town that is absolutely Amazing! California rolls, tuna rolls, and spicy salmon rolls are my favorite so far. They make them fresh, right there in front of you and all the fish is fresh caught of course :)
I love seeing new things and simply finding something by following a map! So the 2nd-4th Tyler's mom and her boyfriend were here to visit us and we drove around the whole island, and I got to be Navigator :) I know bad idea right, I barely know right from left! But actually navigating an Island is WAY easier, I mean there is only so far you can go :)   To put it in a nutshell, we were extreme tourists! and crammed A LOT into two days of exploring! The first day we drove down to the volcano, hiked though old lava flows and though a lava tube. We didnt actually get to see lava flowing which was a bummer because where it is flowing there is no road to get there. So you have to hike in really far OR what I really want to do next time is you go out on a tour boat where they motor you out to right where the lava is flowing into the ocean!
inside the lava tube
Next we drove into Hilo, where we got soaked! Rains about 300 in. a year there! But the cool thing is that you are in a tropical rainforest! There we got to see some amazing waterfalls and drive though some of the coolest scenery I have ever seen. The houses in Hilo all have metal roofs and most are on stilts. But most of the houses are SO run down, its weird to think people actually live in them. Im guessing all that rain takes a big toll on your house. Lets just say im glad we moved to the west side of the Island, Hilo reminded me a little to much of OR :)
rainbow falls
The next day we drove north to the most northern point of the Island and down to one of the most amazing and scenic beaches I've ever seen. The road stops at a lookout at Pololu Beach, where you can see the entire valley where the national forest starts and a black sand beach 500ft below! So we walked about a mile down this trail to get to the beach. The sand was so fine, it felt like silk, so so beautiful.


After two long and fun days on the road, I realized something else: I dont think its possible to get Island fever on the Big Island! OMG driving around the Island made me realized just how BIG it is! I have a new respect for the island! We saw a lot but not even close to everything there is to see. I dont think we could see ALL of the island in a year if we tried! It took almost 3 hours just to get to the other side, we put over 300miles on the rental car! Where as on say Oahu its only 30miles wide. You can fit all the other Islands Twice inside the big Island! We are about the size of Connecticut! But our population is only 185,000 (Ohau is 953,000!!) Also, we have the largest telescope in the WORLD on our island. Hawaii is one of the most remote places on earth, so we have the least amount of light pollution, which means AMAZING views of the stars! :) We also have the tallest Mt in the world (Mauna Kea) And another fun fact: The Big Island holds 11 of the 13 different climates that exist in the whole world!  So all in all, I love it here, im so glad we chose the big Island, there is SO much to do and see here!   
Now that we are both working and starting to make money, our next adventure is to get certified to scuba dive! And also to start Island hopping and seeing all the other Islands! 
Well thats it for now, 
Laur


No comments:

Post a Comment