Friday, December 2, 2011

Meeting people and living life

Well, it seems like we have finally gotten to a point where we have established a name for ourselves in Kona. I've realized it takes a lot of effort to put yourself out there, make new friends and create a place for yourself in a town where you once did not exist. Just by simply staring conversation with anyone and everyone you meet, you would be AMAZED by the stories you hear, the relationships you start, and just how connected we all really are to each other. We have made friends with a bartender who is a scuba instructor who is going to certify us and he is also a pilot and said he could fly us to any island we want to go to! Being a bartender, all I do is talk to people all day, I have met flight attendants, cruise ship workers, a famous chef who cooks for celebrities, people who have told me about all the hidden treasurers Hawaii has to offer that I would never have read in a guide book, and the list goes on. That is one of the reasons I love my job and why I will never stop working with and around people, everyone has so much to offer, you just have to start talking. And it makes me sad thinking how American society has become so self involved and timed around strangers. Most people live in fear and keep to themselves on a daily basis. Sitting on the max even, and looking around everyone is clutching their bags and looking forward at all times. If someone so much as starts up a conversation we assume they are a creep and respond in short non-inviting one liners. Imagine if we just said hi to everyone we came in contact with? Who knows who you could meet, the opportunities you could come into, the lasting friendships you could make. The world would be better off for all of us if we just broke out of our shell once in a while. Because really, its all about who you know.


Ok so enough of all my philosophy :)  I haven't wrote in a while, so thanksgiving was really great. A couple from my old job at Persimmon, who were members that I had known for almost two years, happened to be staying on the Big Island for Thanksgiving and had invited us to have dinner with their family. They have three kids who are all around our age and their boyfriend/husband who were all on vacation with them, so it was a pretty big group of people. They were so hospitable to us, made us drinks all night and fed us a giant meal of lobster tails and steak! So all in all it was a great way to spend the holiday even though we were missing our family. 
Tyler and I have both been working a lot, which is bitter sweet. We both love our jobs and are making good money, but at the same time I didn't just move here to work, I want to be able to explore as much of the Island as I can. With that being said I think I might drop down to working only 3 or 4 days/week instead of 5. 
A lot of things we want to try, though, we are waiting till friends and family visit to do them, because we know they will want to do them anyway. Things like the manta ray night dives, zip-lining, helicopter tours over the volcano, going to a Luau, driving to the top of Mauna Kea to watch the sunrise, ect. are all things I know we will do, but were waiting to share them with all our visitors! 
We did rent a Kayak the other day though :) It was awesome, I really want to get one now, we are searching craigslist to find a good deal. I would love to start kayaking and get good at paddling so we can cruise down the coast and find hidden beaches that you cant get to by foot. That and another Moped are in our near buying future :) 
My city at dusk :) 

I have been buying and trying lots of new fruits. Custard apples are really strange. Spiny and green on the outside, and soft white fleshy fruit on the inside. I get fresh pineapples all the time and make smoothies out of them. Also I have got mangoes and Mamey Sapote, which is this picture i found. They are a almost carmel sweet taste, I have tried this fruit when I was in Australia as well. 
 
And I also got a raw coconut the other day! We poked a hole for the milk to come out (which actually does not taste as good as I thought, does anyone know what you can do with the milk? ) and then Tyler cracked it open with a hammer! The actual meat was ok, still not as good as I thought, but im basing my love of coconut flavor on pina coladas and coconut cream pies :) 


Anywho, everything else is going great, we've made some awesome friends we go out with quite often, we know our way around good, and learn something new everyday. The weather is mid 80's everyday mostly blue skys and lovely.  :)    Well until next time........

The end of another amazing day with my love

No comments:

Post a Comment